Oct 25, 2005

mindless handsewing - straight and narrow update

Well drat. I finally got busy on my straight and narrow challenge piece again, only to notice that I cut the leaves too small and I need to pull them off and make bigger ones. I got stuck about a month ago on this project when I finished embroidering the vines and started playing with flower ideas and realized I had forgotten about leaves. Duh! So I finally got my act together last week and drew a bunch of leaves and cut them out and played around with placing them until I liked it. Last night I started needleturning them, having myself a lovely evening of mindless sewing and Michael Vick watching. I finished a couple of leaves and held up the quilt and dammit, the leaves are too small. The proportion is screwy and they look skimpy.

Here's the thing: I love the designing part, drawing and trying different fabrics and compositions. But part of why I love it is because it is so challenging and engaging. It requires focus and brain-engagement. And sometimes, like after a long day at work or during my lunch break in the middle of a long day of work, I don't want to do brain-engagement. I want to do mindless sewing, because it's relaxing and comfortable and it makes me feel good. But now I need to do some brain-engagement to fix these leaves before I can continue with my mindless sewing. And it's really more of a mindless sewing kind of day. Therefore, drat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hip is not enough
There was a time, way back in the late 1990s, when coolhunting was still cool, when nearly every Madison Avenue ad agency wanted a resident hipster to interpret the spending habits of those inscrutable ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to company construction mn road on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like company construction mn road!

Anonymous said...

Trend forecasters
There was a time, way back in the late 1990s, when coolhunting was still cool, when nearly every Madison Avenue ad agency wanted a resident hipster to interpret the spending habits of those inscrutable ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to quality assurance highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like quality assurance highway construction!