Aug 6, 2005

Prank call?

I had the house to myself last night, but I was too tired to do much about it beyond watching a Sopranos episode, eating some s'mores and going to bed early. Dave and AshLee were both out with friends. My first thought when the ringing phone ripped me awake at 10:30 was that one of them was calling because something was wrong. I hate that.

So I ran downstairs to answer the phone and nobody was there. All I could hear was some VERY haunting music in the background. WHY THE HELL IS SOMEONE PRANK CALLING ME ON THE ONE NIGHT ALL SUMMER THAT I'M HOME ALONE!?!

Feeling quite a bit creeped out, I grabbed my cell phone and called Dave to demand that he drive home RIGHT NOW.

He answered right away and in the background I heard THE SAME HAUNTING SONG FROM THE PRANK CALL! "Umm, did you just call me?" "Oops, I must have bumped the speed dial button for home and accidently called you...Listen!" He was in Sandpoint at a Ryan Adams concert. He held up the phone so I could hear Ryan singing Oh My Sweet Carolina, a song I happen to love, a song that is slow and spare and umm, yeah, haunting. "Yeah, that sounds great now, but when the phone wakes you up at 10:30 and you're home alone and there's nothing on the other end except that song in the background IT'S CREEPY AS HELL!!"

He laughed and apologized and I went back to bed. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to listen to that song again.

No comments: