Dec 23, 2005

The value of making a start

Yesterday morning when I got up, I put some butter in a bowl. My watering pot episode was still in the unseen future and I was optimistic about the baking, so I set out some butter to soften up for the sugar cookie dough. And then last night, when I was completely drained, when reading a book and reading blogs and napping were all unable to hold my attention, when I was done whimpering on my own blog, I wandered downstairs to see what Dave was doing and there was the butter in the bowl. So I thought, "ok, well, I'll just dump the shortening in there with it." And then I read the recipe again and thought "hmm, this doesn't look too bad." And the next thing I knew, I was completely absorbed in mixing up the dough. And when I'd wrapped it up and put it in the freezer to chill, I made a batch of 7 layer bars. And then, still very tired, but feeling a great deal better, I put some more butter in the bowl and went to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum! I have sultanas (um - golden raisins, I think you call them?) soaking in rum just waiting for me to get back and make banana bread.... cooking as therapy, YES!