Jun 12, 2005

Help! I have to sew a dress!

We got home a bit ago from a quick overnight trip to visit my husband's family in Coulee Dam. 2 cousins graduated from high school yesterday, so we went to join in the eating and visiting.

While we were there, my sister-in-law asked if I would make the dress for my 5 year old niece's come out as a tribal powwow dancer next month. A dancer's first dress is supposed to be created with love by family members and I'm honored to be asked. I just have to make the basic skirt and top, other family members will decorate the dress and make the rest of the regalia. I do the most sewing of anyone, but I SO don't make clothing. I know I can figure it out, but I'm nervous as heck about it. I'm going to have to be on the phone with my expert seamstress mom the entire time. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Deb R said...

What a neat thing to be asked to do!

I used to sew clothes a lot, but haven't done it much recently. The increasingly rare times I do, I find the thing I have the most trouble with is shifting my brain over to the idea of using a 5/8" seam allowance. After getting used to 1/4" in quilt piecing, that seam allowance looks bizrrely huge and I have to keep reminding myself that it's right. :-)

Pat Dolan said...

What a tremendous honor! Hey, it's worth learning to step outside the comfort zone for that adorable child! Have you been given any sort of pattern? The skirt will be simple & can always be altered to fit. The top should also be fairly simple - unless it has sleeves. In any case, what are mom's for if not to help out in happy family 'crisis' like this one?! Be sure to post a photo when it's done - and another when she's in full regalia!....Pat

Elle said...

Wonderful! You must feel so honored. It should be simple to design and do. I'm sure it will be beautiful. Definitely share with us as you're creating it!