Apr 25, 2006

CREATE-ing

I've settled back into working on my little CREATE piece. When I left it last, I had added some leaves, but they were out of proportion to the rest of the piece. These leaves are too small...



So, I made a whole pile of bigger leaves, pulled off the tiny ones and played around adding more and bigger leaves. It's looking much better now.



The biggest surprise about going back to this piece is how great it feels to do hand applique again. I've been futzing around with fusibles and raw edge techniques looking for instant gratification, but those techniques aren't as satisfying to me as hand applique. And they generally don't produce the look I want. And I'm actually pretty quick at needleturning. So by the time I fuss around trying to make the other techniques look the way I want them to (and all-too-frequently give up in frustration) I might as well have done it by hand. Hand applique is my thing. It's what I do. I REALLY LIKE doing it. So why the heck haven't I been doing it? Sheesh.

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

Youb do beautiful hand work - I am so impressed - don't think I hae the patience!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Boy, I have the same experience, not just with applique but quilting too. Do the machine stuff because sometimes it really is what the piece needs but too often because I think I don't have time to do it by hand. In my experience, almost every "quick and easy" technique designed to make our quilting life easier has its own headaches and draw backs. Everything's a trade-off. If the hand work gives you pleasure, as it does me, and you prefer the look as well, then that is what you should be doing. Quantity and speed are not always virtues.

Sheila

Melissa said...

I prefer the hand applique too, but I get so impatient because it feels like it takes me an eternity to finish. This project looks like it's coming along great. I like the colors and fabrics you put together!

Anonymous said...

I love this! Anything with vines & I'm hooked. Quilts, fabric, wallpaper.