Feb 4, 2011

Resourcefulness


Here's a gratuitous cute cat photo since a) I haven't posted one for a while and b) I don't have any pictures to go with the rest of the post. Please enjoy.

So what I really wanted to say is that I had kind of a crazy day at work. I don't write much about work here because, well, this isn't a blog about litigation. (thank goodness!). But when I took a deep breath at 4:55 today and started reflecting on the day I discovered a parallel to my art work. If there was a "theme" for me today it was Resourcefulness.

There was a lot to do and it seemed like every little thing had some little extra glitch. And so a lot of different people came to me with a lot of different glitches and I had the resources to help them. Yes, you can fix that by filing this and here's the form. Yes, I have that person's home # right here. Yes, I can find that piece of information on this website. Yes, let me call this person I know who can fix that. All day long. And here's the thing: It was fun! I love to solve problems and I've reached a point in my career where I have lots of resources at hand for solving problems. And that is such a satisfying feeling. The hard work I've done in the past pays off for me now.

So how the heck does that have anything to do with art? I'm coming to understand that a big reason why I love creativity and art making is because I love to solve problems. How can I put these elements together in an interesting way? How can I express this idea? How can I fix this painting that looks like vomit? And I've reached a point in my art making where I have lots of resources at hand for solving problems. I can balance that big element with these three small elements. I can stencil/stamp/draw these symbols. I can throw a splash of red paint right there to cover that awkward part and make the whole thing pop. The hard work I've done in the past pays off for me now. Awesome! Here's to experience and resourcefulness!

1 comment:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Cool observation! I get to be the answer person many times in my job, too. I think it's the best part. Hadn't connected it to art, but you are so right.