Apr 16, 2007

Alive and sewing


Well, actually embroidering. I love the look of heavily encrusted embroidery like this. I also love the look of collaged and painted paper. With some tips and inspiration from Sharon Boggon's Personal Library of Stitches class at Joggles, I think I've finally figured out how to combine the two looks. I sewed a grid onto my paper background and all of the embroidery I've added over on the right is done on the grid, without going through the paper. Figuring out how to stitch on the grid has been an interesting challenge and I like the results so far. Lots more stitching to do on this, but I'm having a lot of fun playing around with it.

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Hey Nikki, this is really interesting. I haven't done embroidery like this since the 1970's - well, THAT dates me, doesn't it? Never thought about working it on a grid like this. Reminds me a little of some of Mari Story's beading techniques.

I could see from the bigger picture that you have painted over a page with printing. Could just make out "play with a full deck." Was this just something that was on hand, or something with significance?

Just love the color...

craftydabbler said...

This is a really beautiful piece. I just found your blog and it is inspiring.